Encouraging Songs of 2017



Photo by Juja Han on Unsplash

I have been thinking about this blog for a long time! In fact I made a list of my 10 most encouraging songs of 2017. I made this list in January 2018 and it only consists of 7 songs not 10 but I tried. Here were the songs that encouraged me most in 2017. Even if this list is super old I plan on doing more lists over the next few months so be on the look out for those. 

1.Better by Britt Nicole.  

I remember siting at my window with my arms on the sill crying quietly when I heard this song. I don’t remember exactly what was going on in life at that moment, all I know is that it was something related to school. The lyrics Cross my heart that inside / It'll get better, it'll get better, words brought so much hope to me. It is always going to get better. No matter how big or small your problem it will get better. 


Kari Job has been one of my favorite artists for a long time, and I have loved this song for just as long. It is actually interesting that this is on the list since I have just been listening to this song on repeat a lot recently. The chorus of this song is beautiful. And I cannot choose my favorite lyrics. It is an amazing song when you need to declare you trust in God again. 


This song I fell in love with right after we moved from Michigan to New Jersey. The idea of everything shaking around me but God owning it all brought so much comfort. Also I love the voice of this song, the way it goes from praising to speaking over yourself is cool. It is a way to receive the power God has given us and at the same time trust him with everything. The passage the popped in to my head that had to be part of their inspiration for this song is Psalms 46. I strongly encourage you to read the whole psalm. These are my two favorite verses in it. 

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations
I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalms 46:10

The Lord Almighty is with us; 
the God of Jacob is our fortress. Psalms 46:7 and 11 

4. No Longer Slaves by Bethel Music

This song turned into a cliché church song for a while so I was actually really surprised to see it on my list. Apparently it was still breathing life into me even if I did not think so. If you need a song to declare over yourself this is a fantastic one! Just sing this over and over: I'm no longer a slave to fear. I am a child of God.

5. Hills and Valleys by Tauren Wells

2017 I worked on Hills and Valleys my novel like crazy and this was the song that just fell into the story. I love this song but Abigail, my main character in Hills and Valleys loves it more. This song along with my book (since I can’t think of the two separately anymore) always remind me of the beauty that happens in the valleys, a dark place in your life, and on the hill, the big exciting things in your life.

6. Wake by Hillsong Young and Free

I have loved this song for a long, long time! It is so celebratory which I think is important no matter what is happening in your life. To remember what God has done and will continue to do no matter what. Let God’s light shine though you!

7. Still That Girl by Brett Nicole

Brett Nicole has been another one of my favorite artists as well. I love this song because of the chorus that talks about how you fall and it hurts but when you stand you are still that girl. Still that person. If your identity is in Christ, no matter what life throws at you, you are still that person.

Comments