My Thoughts on God Sung Lullabies



In my post at the beginning of October, one of the lyrics I mentioned I referred to as a lullaby. Today I am going to dig deeper into what I think about these songs and what I mean by a God sung lullaby. 


What is a lullaby? 


If you have read other posts of mine, you know that I like to look up the definition of the word. 


According to the Webster Dictionary ‘Lullaby’ means: a soothing refrain: specifically to quiet or calm children or lull them to sleep. 


I love the words ‘soothing refrain.' It ties so much comfort in there. The songs and lyrics run together and can feel like a warm blanket. 


Some of my memories with lullabies 


Most of us have heard lullaby at some point in our lives. My grandma has always sung “Teddy Bear Picnic” to all the babies she has rocked to sleep. Other than that though I can’t think of very many other lullabies. 


One time I remember singing a lullaby though. I was sleeping with my youngest brother and singing this never ending song of “Jesus Loves Me” to him. I think he was crying, but honestly I don’t remember. For all I know, it could have just been me pretending I was a mother. 


The other lullabies I grew up with were VeggieTales bedtime songs. I listened to them a lot growing up.


What happened to lullabies? 


As I was writing the part above, I really started wondering what happened to lullabies, and I think I know what happened. CD players, and iPods came into existence. Music was more readily available and also the bedtime routines with babies was changed. 


It is also just depends on the family. I don’t think it every family even hundred years ago sang lullabies to their babies. Music is one of those things that some people use; others just enjoy it. 


What are God sung lullabies?


Now God sung lullabies are Christian songs sung in a way as though God is singing it to you. I have only stumbled on a few of these types of songs over the last few years, and they are so powerful and comforting. Like I said in the definition section they can feel like being wrapped up in a warm blanket sitting on someone’s lap.


I don’t actually know what these types of songs are called. I have tried looking it up but I just can’t find any words that describe this type of song. So I named them God sung lullabies. 


Are they Biblical?


This is a big question I have thought about and dug through the Bible to find out. The reason I have pondered if they are Biblical or not, is because these are not actually written by God. These are written by humans, who I believe prayed over these songs and were prompted by the Holy Spirit when they wrote them, yet they are humans. 


When you look through the Bible, there are many moments that God speaks directly to someone or through someone. We know from 2 Timothy 3:16 that the Bible is God breathed. So even if God is not speaking directly in a passage we know that God has still ordained and used every word for a purpose. 


So since every Bible verse is God breathed, and the writers of theses lullabies have based them on Bible verses, I would say these are Biblically based. This verses leads me into my final point on the topic: 


“So is my word that goes out from my

mouth: 

it will not return to me empty, 

But will accomplish what I desire

and achieve the purpose for which 

I sent it.” — Isaiah 55:11


If these songs are rooted in Bible verses, they are advancing the good news of God’s love. With a song he can direct a hurting heart to the Bible and truths found in it. With a song like this he can draw people closer to him, prompt them to open their Bible to find the verse, lull them with the truth of his grace and love. 


Why do I like them? 


Well, it is the comfort they bring. In a way, they lull my heart and bring peace to my thoughts. They help me slow down and rest in the One who is still holding me. No matter what happens, he still has me in his arms. These songs help me lean back into his arms. 


“Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure 

      in him, 

for he shields him all day long, 

and the one the lords loves rests  

      between his shoulders.” — Deuteronomy 33:12




On the November 17, I will continue this theme of God sung lullabies by releasing a song list with the ones that I have found. I hope this was informative and helpful. Look through some of your own songs and see if you can find any God sung lullabies. 


Have you ever heard God sung lullabies before? 


Comments

  1. One of those "Lullaby-ic (Lullabylike? Lullabaic?) Hymns" is "I Heard The Voice of Jesus Say" by Horatius Bonar. This is the first verse:

    I heard the voice of Jesus say,
    "Come unto me and rest;
    Lay down, O weary one, lay down
    Your head upon my breast."
    I came to Jesus as I was,
    So weary, worn, and sad;
    I found in him a resting place,
    And he has made me glad.

    They are an interesting genre of hymns to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good hymn! I actually had no thought about that song! Adding it to my playlist for sure.

      Delete
  2. i like them too ^-^ one i've been listening to recently a lot is "Rest for your soul" by austin french. other favorites are my arms by ledger anddd *theres another but my mind isnt bringing it up rn*

    a friend and i also wrote a song recently where a portion is sung as if God were singing it. (with the intent of it being a lullaby being sung to a child)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Bible verse so much! I am going to check out that song.

      That is so cool! I hope to write one one day!

      Delete
  3. The Hidden in my Heart CDs have some beautiful songs that are based on Bible verses where God is speaking, and that are written to calm children for sleep. I've heard them played for kids at naptime, but I enjoy them just as much myself. 😊

    I also love The Seal Lullaby by Eric Whitacre and Basque Lullaby by Dan Forrest. They're not "God sung" but they still carry a lot of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard the Hidden in my heart lullabies before. I need to listen to those again! All these beautiful lullabies!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to have a conversation with you! Please use all your words with kindness, in a way that would reflect Christ well.