Heart Thrones


Photo by William Krause on Unsplash


You're never gonna let me down
Oh, He is my song
King of my heart by Bethal music. 

Who rules your life? Who do you allow to speak into your life and drive you? A lot of times the answer is you, or your parents, maybe even something like, destiny or fame. All kinds of different things can rule on the throne of our heart such as personal voice, or an outside influence. Things that help you or things that destroy you. You have control. But how much better is it if we can give up control to someone who knows better than us. Someone who wants good for us. 

Well, we get that person; we get someone who knows what’s best for us. His name, you have probably heard, is Jesus. The Bible tells us that He lived a perfect life and was unjustly put to death to pay for our sins. He died for us so that we could be in unity with him. We don’t have to have any sin separating us from God. We can now have the good king sit on out heart. 

Jesus is king of everything but we get to choose if we want him in our heart or not. The Bible says:

“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with  that person, and they with me.” — Revelation 3:20

When we open the door and let Jesus come in and rule our lives, we let him sit on our throne. We have to move our will off the throne, our plans off the throne, all our wants off the throne. We have to bow instead. But what better King to bow to? He reins faithfully. He knows you so marvelously He can “eat” with you. I want someone who knows me best ruling my heart. 

Some of you my feel uncomfortable moving yourself off that throne, so you keep the door closed. But let me tell you why you want this King on your heart. King of my heart by Bethal music clearly paints a picture of what it really means to have Jesus as king on your heart. All the verses express to this notion of God being one step ahead and being our strength. He is the wind in sails, anchor in waves. They all point to the kind of King he is. He won’t let us fall or shake (see Psalm 37:24). This is a king who truly wants best for us.

Another thing, the Bible promises and this song sings is, He is never going to let you down. Ever! God’s plan is so much greater than ours, so much greater than any plan we can have. He won’t let us down. Clearly the Bible says,

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways submit to him and he will make straight your path.”— Proverbs 3:5-6

Wow, He sounds like a good person to rule on my heart. He will make straight paths without detours. He will take us higher than we could ever take ourselves. But first we have to be willing to let him rule in our heart. You have to open the door and eat with him, get to know him, and allow him to get to know get to know you. Then we push all our random plans and things cluttering the throne off. This may not be easy. We might really like some of those plans. But I know from experience, God’s plans are always better on the inside even if they where bitter on the outside. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” — Jeremiah 29:11

So is Jesus King of your heart? Does He get to make the plans? What steps do you need to take to get your plans off the throne of your heart?



Comments