God’s Love and Christmas Trees

 “Evergreen” 

By Amanda Lindsey Cook 

There’s no waiting for the spring, Your love is evergreen

There’s no season in-between, Your love is evergreen  


Each December we go out to a farm, search through the rows with a saw in hand to find and cut down the perfect Christmas tree. The story of why we put up Christmas trees is such a fascinating story. The reminders it holds about God and Jesus birth are really cool. The tradition started in Germany hundred of years ago and it signified two things: pointing up to God and the evergreens that never dies just like God’s love. 


Christmas trees are a different kind of tree. Most trees are crowned with green in the summer, but fade to a dull brown in winter. Christmas trees though hold onto their greenness all year. Yes, some needles may fall off, but we know that if the whole pine tree turns brown it signals that something is wrong with the roots not the needles themselves, contrary to a normal tree. Christmas trees are always green. 


From the song “Evergreen” by Amanda Cook, I want to attach a reminder to your pine tree this Christmas. Once a year almost every family has a tree in their house and it can be a great reminder of God’s love for us.


The whole song focuses on the idea that God’s love for us is evergreen. But what does that mean exactly? How can love be green forever? Well, from the content of the song, we know that an evergreen tree is an analogy to describe God’s love. 


Just like a evergreen tree, the Bible says: 


“I, the Lord, do not change.” — Malachi 3:6a


God’s love does not fall like the leaves on an oak tree or shrivel up like the leaves on a willow. God is an evergreen source of love. It is basically another way to say he is unfailing in love. He is going to continue to shine bright and live even the dead of winter. 


The two lyrics I choose for this blog post are: There’s not waiting for the spring, Your love is evergreen / There’s no season in-between, Your love is evergreen. As I write those out, I am realizing how similar those two lyrics are. They both focus on a season changing. 


As we saw above, we know that God does not change. He says he is always the same. That should bring you such peace, no matter what season you are in. It may be the lush green summer or the blizzards of winter, but God’s love is the same through every season. Even in times of confusion God’s love is consistent. 


Because his love is the same no matter what season we find ourselves in we know that this verse applies to us.


“May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.” — 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17


This year has been a hard year, but through it all one Rock has remained. I shared a while ago that at the beginning of the world getting shut down, this one picture was stuck in my head. My feet stuck in a rock and things swirling around me. I was never as upset as I should have been. Nothing has shaken me as much as it should have. I was in God’s love and I was held tightly. The Bible says: 


“I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you in with unfailing kindness.” — Jeremiah 31:3


So this Christmas, view your tree as a reminder of God’s always green love. Even in this dark season we can trust in the evergreen love of our Lord. As you reflect back on this year too, look for times that his evergreen love has penetrated deep into your heart and sustained you through trials. God’s love never dies out and even in the harsh winter, it stays green. 


Comments

  1. I love this description. When I see the brown needles fall off I think of them as my letting go of my problems and worries. Of asking for forgiveness. The new green needles are the love growing in me from God.
    Oh and the smell..ahhh refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this thought about the pine tree. I view the brown needles that fall off as all my worries snd problems falling away as God forgives me and strengthens me. The new green needles are a renewal. And the smell... ahhh refreshing.

    Grandma Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to have a conversation with you! Please use all your words with kindness, in a way that would reflect Christ well.