Favorite Albums of 2019

Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash

Happy New Year! It is 2020! That is crazy and so exciting. I am going to reflect on 2019 by looking back over some of my favorite albums. Disclaimer: Not all of these albums came out in 2019; I will let you know which ones did. 

1. Look Up Child by Lauren Daigle
This was my go to album at the beginning of the year. It really lifted my spirits and I loved the very simple rhythm, it really stuck in my head. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “You Say” (you can read my song story about that here) and “Your Wings.”

2. Own It by Francesca Battistelli 
This made it onto my Summer Song List and it really helped me dance through the summer. It is super upbeat and I listened to it almost every time I cut the grass. Now when I listen to it, I remember cutting the grass. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “You Belong” and “Defender”. 

3. Riley Clemmons by Riley Clemmons
This was the other album that made it onto my summer list. I also listened to it while cutting the grass. This is album has a good mix of slow, reflection songs along with songs to lift a discouraged spirit. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “You First” and “Broken Prayers” (piano version).

You cannot go wrong with some Greatest Showman. Such motivating and happy music. It also displays the story of the movie really well. Whenever I hear the songs, I can see them dancing to it in the movie, which is about following your dreams no matter how hard it gets. I listened to these songs a lot while cleaning up after dinner with my brothers—they are very danceable songs. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “A Million Dreams” and “This is Me.” 

5. III (Studio Sessions) by Hillsong Young and Free
So this is their third album, which came out in 2019, with the same songs are the last two, but this is by far my favorite. It is a nice, slow flow that is great for when you are stressed and is good background music for devotion time. They are also good songs to prepare your heart for a hard day. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Highs and Lows” and “P E A C E.” 

6. Out of the Valley Vol. 1 by Valley Worship 
This is the first album released in 2019 by Valley Family Church that we used to go to. I love how simple these songs are the melodies are easy to remember. With so few words, you can just start singing it whenever you need a song in your heart. All the songs feel like bridges, which in my opinion are the most powerful parts of many songs. I love this album for devotion time or getting ready for bed. They are slow and peaceful while worshiping God. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Lift up Holy Hands” and “Be Still.” 

7. You Make Me Brave by Bethel Music 
I fell in love with Bethel Music this fall, and this album had most of my favorite songs in it. These songs are so Bible-based that I just love singing them. They also songs that I could picture singing on a Sunday morning—very simple, yet powerful. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “It is Well” and “Wonder.”

8. Broken Records by Travis Greene 
Do you want to hear an album purely driven by the Holy Spirit? In every song, you can just hear the Holy Spirit moving through it. I waited for the full album to be released in 2019 and I was not disappointed. The words are pure praise and illustrate the way we should all worship purely for God, praising him or declaring his words over all of us. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “The Breaker” (you can find my song story here) and “Good and Loved.” 

9. Campfire by Rend Collective 
This is another Spirit-lead album. I love how it is so simple, and the idea behind it is wonderful. (You can listen to the story about it here.) Also, the simple instruments make it really feel like you are also at the campfire. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Build Your Kingdom Here” and “Alabaster.”

This movie came out in the spring 2019, and as soon as we watched it, I started listening to all the songs. For the first few days, these songs were always playing as my brothers and I cleaned up from dinner. I really enjoyed the new twist on the original songs. It makes them new and fresh, but they are still similar to the old one. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Speechless” (Read my Song Story here) and “Friend Like Me.”

11. Behold the Savior by Meredith Andrews 
This is the only Christmas album I had in my music library this year. I was not very into Christmas music, but this album really spoke to me and still rooted me in the true meaning of Christmas. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Behold the Savior” and “The Gospel Changes Everything.”

I listened to this album too many times after it came out at Thanksgiving. I can now sing all the songs! I think I like the songs more than the movie, to be honest. For the first week of December, this was the music that carried me through the week. I enjoyed this album a lot and a felt like a lot of the songs have a deeper meaning, which is fun to unpack. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Show Yourself” and “Into the Unknown.” (Read the Song Story on the song "Next Right Thing here)

13. All In by Matthew West 
The second week of December, this was my jam. There are so many good songs on this album! I love Matthew West’s music because is so centered around God’s grace, and he expresses that through stories turned into music. Also, this album is nice and long so I enjoy that. These songs were my go-to all week. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Dream Again” and “Becoming Me.” 

14. Campfire II: Simplicity by Rend Collective 
During week three of December, this was my album. I found this one randomly, but I was so excited. I loved the first Campfire album and I had no clue that there was a second one. Again, I like how down-to-earth this album is. It is truly something you could sing around a campfire with no instruments—just your voice. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Free As a Bird” and “Oceans.” (Also planning a song story on that very soon.)

15. His Story the Musical by Original cast to His story the musical 
I found this album the last week of December. “Wow!” is all I can say! This is a soundtrack of 30 songs all written by an 18-year-old who knew nothing about music. (Here is her full story.) The songs are all compiled in a way that takes you through Jesus’s life. It has a very modern feel, but it is the most powerful story put to song. In 2019 the music came out, but the goal is to one day have a real musical. If you want to know more about this amazing album, go to His Story. Two of my favorite songs from the album are “Arrive” and “What Am I Supposed to Say?


I hope you enjoyed this! A lot of these songs inspired me last year, so you can expect song stories from many of these songs. Were any of these albums your favorite this year? What where some of your favorite albums this year? 


Comments

  1. I love the song Speechless. It is so beautiful.

    One of my favorite albums of 2019 was Danny Gokey's "Haven't Seen it Yet" album, specifically the song Wanted. All of his music really speaks to me, especially when I'm having a rough day.

    Keep up the good work Juliet!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to have a conversation with you! Please use all your words with kindness, in a way that would reflect Christ well.